Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mad Scientist Party Decorations Part 1

Finally! I was finally able to get the Mad Scientist pictures loaded to my computer! Since I have so many pictures, I am going to post a few at a time. This Mad Scientist Party was for my son's 9th birthday. The party was divided between the house and The Lab (garage). I wanted to keep the mood in the house light so all of the decorations were done in bright neon colors. The Lab was done in all black & silver.
This is what greeted the boys as they arrived. The caution tape is left over from Halloween. I made all of the signs in the party with poster board, my mother's Cricut die cut machine (cartidges used - Everyday Paper Dolls, Plantin School Book & Locker Talk), cardstock & a science themed bulletin board border I found at the local teacher supply store. At the last minute my son added a Top Secret sign to the door.
---------------------------------------------------------------
This is a picture taken from the front door. All Scientists had to check-in before entering the lab!

The check-in desk was decorated with my son's lava lamp. I had two helpers manning the desk. As each boy arrived, he was asked his name. One helper checked the Doctor's name off the check-in list and preformed a "Retinal Scan." This was actually a glow stick that was passed in front of the boy's eyes!
Meanwhile, the second helper entered the guest's name into the laptop. I found a website online that says whatever you type in a funky voice. At the end of the Retinal Scan, the computer would say, "Dr. ____ is confirmed. You may now enter the laboratory." The boys absolutely loved this!

After check-in, the boys were each given a disposable lab coat (found on Ebay) and safety goggles (Harbor Freight).
On the long wall of the foyer I hung a Command Hook for each guest. ID Badges were pinned to each lab coat. The coats & goggles were a HUGE hit and I am so happy that I made the extra effort to locate them.
Above each hook was a name label with Dr. _____. Before the party, I printed enough name stickers to label everything at the party. This made it easy for the boys to keep track of their party items & experiments.
A close up of the ID Badges. I made these with a Microsoft template and had them printed at Office Depot. Everyone's name was preceded with the title Dr. and a job title. The ID number is the date of the party. To save money, I inserted the badges into trading card holders that my son already had and attached safety pins to the back (I was origianlly going to either laminate the badges or purchases badge holders).
------------------------------------------------------
The Engineering Department was the second stop of the party. This was an activity to keep the kids busy until all of the guests arrived. Each place was set up with a styrofoam meat tray (free from the meat department of my local grocery store - just ask!) labeled with a name sticker. In the center of the table were bowls filled with toothpicks & mini marshmallows. The kids had to construct a freestanding structure using the toothpicks & marshmallows. The tallest 2 structures won a prize (I found 3-D plastic anatomy models of the human body & a frog at the dollar store to give out as prizes).
---------------------------------------------------------
I purchased a plastic painter's drop cloth from the dollar store, hung it in the archway & cut it into strips to resemble the barriers found in labs. The kids loved walking through it and it was only a $1.00 for lots of drama! It also served as a divider between the activity and food areas.
-------------------------------------------------------
The family room was decorated with balloons & cardstock spirals - very simple & inexpensive. This is where the kids ate dinner and dessert. I had a Bill Nye the Science guy DVD (borrowed free from the library) playing in the background. Each place at the table had a lime napkin & crazy straw tied with a neon pipe cleaner.
-------------------------------------------------------------
This is the "Cafeteria" table. The pizza went in the center of the table. The table has more of the science bulletin board border. The windows are decorated with science shapes made with the Cricut die cut machine, the mad scientist picture from the invitations & id badges and the anatomy of the gummy bear that I found online.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I found this great hologram picture after Halloween. It is a photo of a scientist that turns into a mad monster scientist! The flasks are filled with moon sand.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I blew up latex medical gloves and attached them to the chandelier.
--------------------------------------------------------------
After the experiments, the kids came back into the house for cake and an "Invent A Sundae" bar. The kids got to make their own sundaes with gummy body parts, nerds, maraschino cherries, green M&M's, gummy bears, chocolate chips, sprinkles, colored sugars & syrups, whipped cream, hot fudge, and caramel, chocolate & strawberry sauce.

Tomorrow I will post Part 2 of the party decorations - the Lab! You can the invitations here & here & the goody bags here.

18 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

It looks so cool! Brenda...I am so impressed!

Tanya said...

Rock! And you even had time to take such nice pictures... I'm always in a rush finishing up at the last minute that I don't get those "pre-party" setup shots. Good for you!

Bee and Rose said...

What a FANTASTIC party!!!!

Shelly said...

Fabulous! I'll bet the guests just LOVED the party! You thought of every detail and did a great job with decorating! I am definitely filing this away for when my boys get a bit older. The pics are great! I intend to get much better pre-party shots at my next party. Thanks for sharing!

Karyn said...

I had lots of fun and Jacob said it was the BEST party he had ever been too!

Brett and Amy said...

You are awesome! I'm living in Spain right now, but making a list for all the must have's. Glad I found your site before the trip home. I've added at least another suitcase or two. You just can't get good cheap stuff here. I'm impressed by your organization, I only get pictures of whatevers left over after the party (posted on paintedlollipop.blogspot). Thanks for sharing.

Ann said...

Could you share your resources from the internet that you mention in your blog? I was especially interested in the site that allows you to have a voice speak at check in

Also how do I access your second blog?

daffmac said...

Your party looks awesome. I am in the midst of planning a mad science party for my son and hope you don't mind if I borrow some ideas. Can you tell me which file or cricut cartridge you used for the decor. I have a cricut but am having some trouble finding it. If it is a cut file and you are willing to send it my email is daffmac@yahoo.ca or let me know where you would it.
Thanks and hope I can do half as good a job
Daphne

Maybe Mel, maybe Scott. Depends. said...

Wow! Loved your ideas, especially the retinal scanning! What website did you use to say what you had typed in?

Nicholas said...

Wow! what a great party. lol

party supplies

Rhonda said...

I am planning on doing a mad science birthday party in July. Could you please e-mail me with the name of the site that does the voice. I would really appreciate it. I'm using this party as my inspiration!

rhondamm@windstream.net

poopiesmom said...

I love ALL of your ideas! If you don't mind, would you please the website where you founder the voice announcer?
I look forward to more of your ideas. It's difficult to find cute, boyish party ideas.

wormie said...

i would also love the website that did the voice!!! i'm doing a mad scientist party for my son in a couple months and LOVE all your ideas!! 5llewelyns@comcast.net
thx!!!

Maria said...

This is awesome. My son asked for a science party and I had no idea where to start. I hope you dont mind but I will be borrowing some ideas. Thanks for posting this. Your party looks like it was alot of fun.

asherah said...

I am having a mad science party for my son and I love your ID badges! I have searched word for this template and have had no luck. Would you mind sharing where you found it?

mshowman said...

Your ideas are wonderful! I will borrow some for my son's Mad Science party. Thanks! Can you please email me the website you used for the voice/scanning thing when guests arrived? Thanks!

Stacey said...

You have so many great ideas. What was the website you got the voice changer from?

Tammy said...

I am having a mad scientist party for my son's 7th birthday in 20 days. Could you email me the link to the voice scanning website and do you still have the name badge file? I would love that as well. All your ideas are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing them.

tammyjones99@gmail.com