Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mad Scientist Party Decorations Part 2

Yesterday, I posted the house decorations for our Mad Scientist Party & today it is all about The Lab! Since it was a mad scientist party, I really wanted The Lab (our garage) to have a dark & creepy feel.

My husband covered the three walls of the garage with black plastic tarp. I added the awesome Design-A-Room lab decorations I purchased from Oriental Trading. To resemble stainless steel, I covered the tables with plastic silver tablecloths (except when I was one tablecloth short & improvised with a white sheet!).
I set up a little lab prop table that the boys would see as they first walked in. I had jars filled with food colored water, bugs, rubber eyeballs and a growing brain & snake (the kind that are really little and expand when placed in water). The jars are just glass food jars that I've been collecting & spray painted the lids orange. After the picture was taken I also added 3 styrofoam meat trays that I had used T-pins to pin down a giant gummy hand, rat & lizard - they looked just like dissection trays!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The first two experiments we did as a group & then I broke the kids into pairs to rotate through 5 more experiment stations.
Snow Puff Experiment & Insta Snow
----------------------------------------


Fingerprinting
-----------------------------------------------------------

Labeled containers of Insta-Snow
-------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------
The best advice I can give is to test all of your experiments a few days before the party & to prepare everything ahead of time. When the boys entered the lab, each table had individual bottles & containers necessary to complete each experiment. All of the items were labeled with the boys' names, making it so easy to keep track of everyone's experiments.
Tomorrow I will post pictures from the actual party!

6 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

Brenda...seriously...I am so impressed!

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

THIS IS SO FABULOUS! Now I'm going to create one for Party Wishes!

You really out did yourself! Every detail is just amazing. I wish we lived closer to each other. :)

Rhonda said...

Hi, I'm so glad I saw this. I am planning a mad scientist party for my soon to be 8 year old in July. Great ideas!

Do you keep all your party decor and supplies? Would you be interested in selling them. Looking for a good bargain! I love the OT decor...if you don't want to store it....let me know.

rhondamm@windstream.net

Nicholas said...

It is amazing. what a great idea.

party supplies

Katie said...

Hi Brenda! I am currently planning a Mad Scientist party for my daughter and I really like the finger printing station. Where did you find the small cards for the finger prints??
thanks, Katie!

Stanton S.Harry said...

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You cann't imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!
100 ea 16 Gram Threaded CO2 Cartridges