Monday, August 3, 2009

Back To School Centerpiece

My current party planning project is a Back To School Bunco Party for my Mom's Group. Since Bunco is played at several tables, I wanted to have cute themed centerpieces.

Inspired by Little Ant Designs, I made these school bus centerpieces. They are super easy to make.
The base of the centerpiece is an empty Crystal Light drink container. About 36 #2 pencils were attached to the container with a rubber band. The rubber band was then covered with ribbon & a bow.

Inside the container, I glued a small block of styrofoam (this will hold the ruler). I made the school bus using the Cricut Locker Talk cartridge, but you could even use those little wood cut-outs from craft stores. The bus was glued to a plastic ruler and the ruler is stuck into the styrofoam.

Add a couple of pieces of notebook paper & you have a cute centerpiece for under $4 (this time of year is the perfect time to buy school supplies at great discounts!). Since the pencils aren't glued, the centerpiece can be taken apart & the pencils used!

10 comments:

Susan Crabtree said...

fun centerpiece idea!

Chris @ Celebrations At Home said...

Those are so cute!

Annie said...

Cute idea, I like it.

Thanks for sharing.

Karyn said...

Love these!

lifeoftheparty said...

OMG Cute! It reminds me of that line from You've Got Mail where Joe Fox says something like "I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils." when they're talking about the wonders of fall...

...so I babble. This is great!

Simply Creative Insanity said...

Those are great! I just hosted a back to school party! check it out if you get a chance
www.simplycrestiveinsanity.blogspot.
com

denise said...

I just ran across this post. You did a great job taking a idea and making it work for you. I love how your centerpieces turned out - they are adorable!

Karen said...

Thanks - you TOTALLY inspired me on our Back To School Staff Appreciation Luncheon!!

Erin said...

This is so cute! I've seen the pencil holders but not with the ruler and school bus. That tops it off perfectly!!!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

erica922 said...

love love your idea
i did one too
http://erica922.blogspot.com/2011/07/crafty-crafty-today.html