Monday, September 28, 2009

Fairy Party ~ Placemats

My Mom & I have been working like mad trying to get everything done for Emma's Fairy Birthday Party. Even though the party isn't for a few more weeks, I have so much going on in October that I really just wanted to at least have the fairy party prep complete.

I absolutely fell in love with these artificial grass & flower placemats from Butterfly Craze. The $6.99 price tag? I didn't love so much!
So, I then considered astro turf placemats. Astro Turf is reasonably priced, available at Home Depot and I could make 20 placemats for under $5.00 (you can find a tutorial here for making them). While budget friendly, the astro turf just didn't have the look I wanted.

Then I remembered these pretty petal placemats I saw from Party Wishes...
and Design Dazzle...

I searched for these online & locally, but turned up zilch. So, I thought, "I can make these!" I cut out the size placemat I wanted from cardboard gift boxes I had, purchased 4 bags of pink rose petals from the local Dollar Tree & got out my trusty hot glue gun.
Starting at the bottom of the placemat, I ran a single line of hot glue horizontally across the cardboard. Then, I just put down petals one by one, overlapping slightly. I continued this method until the entire cardboard was covered.
I'm thrilled with the way they turned out! Would I like the grass placemats instead? Ofcourse! But $5.00 for 20 placemats for a 6 year old's party makes so much more sense to me (& my wallet!) than $140! And besides, what would I do with all those grass placemats after the party?

19 comments:

Susan Crabtree said...

what a great idea-they are so cute!

Tori said...

I love how you took the DIY approach! Your placemats are lovely!

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

Brenda! Those turned out beautiful! What a great job. I'm so glad I could be of inspiration:)

Joanne Kennedy said...

What a wonderful idea. You could even make those with dollor store place mats if you wanted to keep them after the party. Very pretty!

Hugs,
joanne

Shelley said...

Those are great!! Can't wait to see the party!
Shelley@DivinePartyConcepts.com

lisalyn said...

You are so creative! Way to save some money and they are fabulous!!

Mandy M. said...

That's a great party idea!!! I love the place mats!

Annie said...

Anxious to see the final result.

I'm working so hard for my girls birthday (is next week). So, I'm very busy,ha.

Have a nice weekend.

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

Hey Brenda,

Myhusband was showing me a party article in his Smart computing magazine (yes, I'm married to a geek) and your blog is on page 41!
Congratulations!

American in Norway said...

What an adorable idea! I am thinking "Fairy" for my daughters b day next year!

lifeoftheparty said...

These are so pretty! Very creative...and I prefer these to the grass ones =) Can't wait to see how the rest of the party turns out!

lilly said...

Ohh I love this! Hollywoodmegastore.com is a cool site for party planning too :)

Coupon Savings Momma said...

Just wanted to say I love your blog and have given you the Best Blog Award, you can go here to get it:
http://iluv2coupon.blogspot.com/2009/10/best-blog-award.html

The Shop Best Guru said...

Wonderful job! I loved them!

DesignDazzle.blogspot.com said...

terrific job with the placemats. yes, those petal palcemats are expensive. I love your clever idea of gluing the petals to the poster board. The petal placemats I have are glued to heavy pellon (interfacing). Thanks for linking to my site : )
Toni

Ana said...

Interesting... I was searching this info for my uncle. He will be happy for such a great info. Thanks for sharing...
Ana
Artificial Grass

scarlet reynolds said...

I was browsing the internet for web sites related to Synthetic tennis courts and I stumbled upon yours. Anyway,just want to say that it's nice dropping by your blog site.

Kiran said...

What a fantastic creation! Love your work. I really enjoyed going through the post.
However, I have found a great site for organizing parties like BirthDay parties etc. Just have a look, this may be of your interest at www.PartyLasVegas.us

Blizzy said...

Thank You!!!