Monday, March 8, 2010

Movie Party ~ Decorations & Party Time!

For my son's 10th birthday, we had a movie party. To keep costs down, the party was held at our house, the decorations were kept simple and I used lots of coupons to buy the food and goodies.

The front door was decorated with C7 Christmas lights to resemble a movie theater and a sign I made using 1/2 a foam board from Dollar Tree, scrap cardstock, paint & ribbon from my craft stash & the Cricut die-cut machine. The only cost was $1.07 for the foam board.
I painted a scalloped border with red craft paint and used Cricut cartridge Cuttin' Up for lettering and Mickey & Friends for the filmstrips.
Borrowed camp chairs made for the perfect theater seating - they were comfy, portable & each had their own cup holder.
My son cut a plastic tablecloth in half and hung it on either side of the TV to look like a theater.
The kitchen table became the theater's concession stand.
The other half of the foam board was used for the concession sign (Cricut Cuttin' Up cartridge lettering). The kids had a ball ordering all of the different foods.
The local GFS Supermarket has tons of empty boxes they let you take. Nathan & I found the right shaped boxes for the Popcorn Concession and Candy Counter.

I used a utility knife to cut "windows" from the four sides. Here is the Popcorn Concession box before:
I spray painted the box grey, taped clear cellophane to the cut-outs, leaving the back window open. I glued extra popcorn bags (from Michael's) to the front, added lettering and striped paper to the bottom. The plastic popcorn containers were 2/$1 from Dollar Tree.
The candy concession stand was made the same way as the popcorn, but I hot glued a cardboard shelf to the middle of the box.
The candy box was spray painted a glossy black and placed on an empty box wrapped in extra black tablecloth. The clear cellophane gave the appearance of glass and kept the boys from grabbing the candy. The only cost for the boxes was $1.07 for a roll of clear cellophane at Dollar Tree and $2.14 for 2 cans of spray paint from WalMart.
More party treats were placed on the desk in the kitchen. To get that fresh popped tasty popcorn, I purchased a few bags from the Publix deli.
Instead of cake, I served popcorn cupcakes. These were the hit of the party and so easy to make. The popcorn is actually mini marshmallows with the tops cut into an "X" with kitchen scissors. The frosting holds the marshmallows in place. A little Wilton yellow color spray gives the look of butter.
The holders are Wilton large nut cups colored with a red Sharpie and a popcorn label cut from extra popcorn bags.The food was served in shirt-sized gift boxes. The boxes became lap trays for the kids to hold their food.
The happy movie watchers.

There wasn't much fancy about this party, but the kids had a great time! You can see the Movie Party invitations here and the favors here.

24 comments:

Party Box Design said...

INCREDIBLE! I just loooove it!

Keisha - Cupcake Wishes & Birthday Dreams said...

I'm am all over the popcorn & concession stands! That is so creative! LOVES IT!

Kim @ Frostmeblog.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for showing the blog love! I love the popcorn display! Clever!!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

Shelley said...

How much fun! I love all of the box creations!

Shelley@DivinePartyConcepts

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

How cute! I featured a popcorn cupcake on my baking blog too! I really like yours though
http://cuppycakebakes.blogspot.com

Alayna said...

Genious! So many cute touches for very little money - my favorite kind of party

Mystery Maiden said...

What a great idea, I love the details, like the "curtain" and the candy case - it looked so much like an actual theatre display, and the popcorn cupcakes are genius! The big question is, what movies did you watch?

Karyn said...

Your concession stand rocks!

Susan Crabtree said...

LOVE the concession & candy stands!!

Mariana said...

Very creative! Love it!

hello said...

Really, really clever ideas. You just saved me a bundle in rentals.

Thisishollywood said...

Yes.It's party time. Any good party will need a good spread and whether you choose to have a sit down meal or perhaps something a little more informal.

movie decorations

Birthday Party Ideas said...

Awesome idea! Love this popcorn stand! Very creative.

Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

Becca said...

I love your ideas!!! I'm going to use some of them for my son's 6th birthday party as he just wants to watch "How To Train a Dragon!" As for you candy box, did you just use the small fun size candies? I'm thinking that's what you did. Thanks for the ideas!

katherine said...

I am so entertaining. I think my favorite b-day ritual is probably getting the birthday call from my mom. She always sings happy birthday to me.And she having awesome kids birthday party ideas.

Amazing Bats! Treasure Hunt said...

That sounds like it will be a super cute movie party!i like your idea thanks...Scavenger Hunt

mishael Aarons said...

Its really a good read for me .... I'll share here a memorable day.its my beautiful day when I was 7 and my mother organize a birthday party ... She gets kids birthday party ideas from kidsfairyland.Com/

Jamy said...

FANTASTIC! I ADORE the concessions made from cardboard boxes. I can't wait to do this party! So fun!

Thisishollywood said...

My experience with the them is really mind blowing. I got lots of compliments and praise for these extraordinary changes in decorations from my visitors, friends and guests. You also can get all these praise if you put some efforts.

Movie Decoration

Thisishollywood said...

Director’s clapboards are one of the most essential items for shooting a film as without this the director can’t move forward or direct the movie.

Director’s Clapboard

Thisishollywood said...

The reels are generally made up of soft plastic so that the reels can be used in any form.
decorative film reels 

Thisishollywood said...

The reels are generally made up of soft plastic so that the reels can be used in any form.
movie reels for sale 

Lisa Raygbor said...

The popcorn concession box is looking awesome. You have cleverly used the empty boxes to make these real looking theater stand. Loved this idea. I am sure the kids had a great fun ordering their food.

morten wed said...

This is nice site for best information about party decoration, Thepartystuff.com.sg is leading website for find all types party decorations products online at affordable cost.

Decorations For Birthday Party